These Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes are a comforting twist to traditional mashed potatoes… they’re creamy, cheesy, buttery goodness!
Don’t get me wrong, I love regular mashed potatoes, but when I’m craving an extra-comforting potato side dish, this is my go-to recipe.
How Many Days Can You Keep Mashed Potatoes In the Fridge?
When stored properly in an airtight container, mashed potatoes are good in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days, so they’re a perfect make-ahead side dish for the holidays.
How to Reheat Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes tend to dry out when refrigerated, so stir in some milk (or milk and melted butter) before reheating.
- Slow Cooker: Butter the insert of your slow cooker before transferring mashed potatoes to the insert. Cover and reheat on low heat for approximately 3 hours, stirring every hour.
- Oven: Place mashed potatoes in a baking dish covered with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes, or until desired temperature is reached.
- Stovetop: The best way to reheat mashed potatoes on your stovetop is with indirect heat by using a double boiler. Here are helpful articles for a DIY double boiler and how to use a double boiler. Heat mashed potatoes over 1 to 2 inches of simmering water in a double boiler for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave: Microwave at 50% power in a covered microwave-safe dish for 2 minutes. Add additional time as needed.
More Potato Side Dishes You’ll LovePrint
A comforting twist to everyday mashed potatoes, these potatoes are creamy, cheesy buttery goodness!
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until fork-tender (but not falling apart), about 12-15 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and return potatoes to pot. Add butter, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, garlic, milk, salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency is reached. Add more milk for a thinner consistency, if desired. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mashed potatoes with cream cheese, mashed potatoes recipe with cream cheese
Originally published November 15, 2014. Updated with new photographs, recipe revised and republished on November 2, 2019.