This mouthwatering Beef Stroganoff is an easy weeknight meal prepared in just 35 minutes. Tender sliced sirloin smothered in a rich and creamy mushroom sauce is always a favorite comfort food dinner!
What I love about this recipe is that it has plenty of sauce – No skimping on that savory sauce here! Serve it over egg noodles, mashed potatoes or rice for a quick, satisfying dinner.
If you want to keep this lower carb you can also serve it over cauliflower rice. The sauce is so rich and flavorful, you’ll never miss the carbs.
Your Simple Ingredients
- Sirloin – I like to use sirloin because it’s a tender and economical cut of beef. You can also use boneless ribeye and tenderloin.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil
- Egg noodles – mashed potatoes, rice or cauliflower rice (for a lower carb alternative) can be substituted for egg noodles.
- Beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh garlic
- Yellow onion
- Sour cream – low fat sour cream can be substituted.
- Sliced fresh mushrooms
A Helpful Tip for Slicing the Beef
The beef will need to be sliced thinly in this recipe. Place your sirloin (or cut of beef you’re using) in the freezer about 30 minutes before slicing. This firms the meat a little, making it much easier to slice.
Can I Make This with Ground Beef?
Yes, you can! Check out my Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe prepared with ground beef and egg noodles (all in one pot!).
Beef Stroganoff is an easy weeknight meal prepared in just 35 minutes!
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–1/4 pounds sirloin steak, fat trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1–1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh white button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1–1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 8 to 12 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Season steak strips on each side with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1/2 of the steak strips and cook approximately 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until well-browned. Transfer to a plate and cook the remaining steak strips (cook in 2 batches to prevent overcrowding). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add onions and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes (stirring frequently), or until mushrooms and onions are tender.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, while stirring (about 30 seconds).
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 to 4 minutes (stirring frequently), or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Return steak strips (with any juices) to skillet and stir well to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Ribeye or tenderloin can be substituted for sirloin.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Russian
Originally published August 2016. Updated and republished February 13, 2020 with new photographs, helpful tips and recipe revised.