These flavor-packed Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs are an easy and budget-friendly dinner perfect for any night of the week. Chicken thighs are tossed in a simple seasoning mixture, coated with barbecue sauce, and baked to juicy and tender perfection.
This is a stress-free dinner the whole family will LOVE! BBQ chicken thighs have always been one of my very favorite dinners. They’re so easy to prepare using simple ingredients that you probably already have on-hand.
- Chicken thighs – You’ll need 8 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs (about 3 to 3 ½ pounds).
- BBQ sauce – Use your favorite bottled sauce or make your own homemade bbq sauce.
- Seasonings – A simple blend of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, kosher salt and black pepper.
How to Prepare
Following is a brief overview of how to prepare – please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
- Toss chicken in seasoning mixture in a large bowl, coating as evenly as possible.
- Add half of the sauce and toss to coat as evenly as possible.
- Arrange chicken on an oven-safe wire rack that has been placed on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove baking sheet from oven. Flip chicken over (using tongs) and brush with additional sauce. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Temperature should register at least 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.
- Carefully remove baking sheet from oven, flip chicken again and brush with remaining sauce.
- Return to oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is caramelized.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs
- 8 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs (about 3 to 3 ½ pounds)
- 2 cups BBQ sauce divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place an oven-safe wire metal rack in baking sheet. Spray rack with cooking spray.
- Whisk or stir together garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper in a very large bowl, set aside.
- Remove any excess skin from chicken using kitchen shears (or very carefully with a knife).
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Toss chicken in seasoning mixture, coating as evenly as possible.
- Add 1 cup of the BBQ sauce and toss to coat as evenly as possible.
- Arrange chicken on wire rack (skin side up). Bake for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove baking sheet from oven. Flip chicken over (using tongs) and brush with ½ cup of the sauce (do not leave brush in the sauce when finished). Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees F.
- Carefully remove baking sheet from oven. Flip chicken again and brush (using clean tongs and a clean basting brush) with the remaining ½ cup of sauce.
- Turn your broiler on high. Return chicken to oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is caramelized to your liking.
- Bake time may vary depending upon size of chicken thighs.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.