This cheesy and creamy Loaded Baked Potato Casserole is basically a loaded twice baked potato in casserole form. It can easily be made ahead of time and is always a crowd-pleasing side dish!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
This is an easy casserole that is enjoyed year-round. It’s a hearty and filling side dish for summer cookouts, potlucks and holiday meals. I’ve made this casserole for years and it’s always a winner!
How I Came Up With This Recipe
Several years ago I had a couple of good friends to show up unexpectedly on a Sunday evening. I had just finished grilling steaks and had 2 baked potatoes that had just come out of the oven.
I wanted them to stay for dinner, so I put the baked potatoes in a big bowl, chopped them up and added butter, sour cream, shredded cheese, mushrooms, sliced green onion, bacon pieces, salt and pepper. I combined all of the ingredients, transferred it to a casserole dish and baked until the cheese melted.
It was such a hit that I’ve been making it ever since and always get asked to bring it when a side dish is needed for a potluck or cookout.
Why I Bake Potatoes In Foil For This Recipe
Baking the potatoes in aluminum foil keeps the skin soft and the potato moister inside, which allows for the potato skin to be included in the casserole.
How to Make This Baked Potato Casserole Ahead of Time
Cover and refrigerate the casserole until it’s ready to be baked. Remove from the fridge and allow to come close to room temperature before baking.
There’s nothing more comforting than buttery, creamy potatoes surrounded by melted cheese, bacon pieces, mushrooms and green onions. I eat leftovers for breakfast (if there are any leftovers!). It’s that good.
Originally published December 21, 2011. Updated with new photographs, recipe slightly revised and republished on August 8, 2019.Print
All of the loaded baked potato fixings you love in an easy casserole!
- 3 large baking potatoes (about 2–1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1–2/3 cups sour cream
- 1 (4.5-ounce drained weight) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 green onion, sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 (2.8 ounce) package bacon recipe pieces (real bacon, not imitation)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Thoroughly wash and scrub potatoes. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Wrap each potato tightly with foil.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with a fork (check after 1 hour – time will depend upon size of potatoes).
- Carefully remove potatoes from foil, place in a large bowl and coarsely chop potatoes with a knife (skin included).
- Add butter, salt, and pepper. Stir with a large spoon until butter is melted.
- Add sour cream. Stir well to combine.
- Add mushrooms, green onions and bacon pieces. Stir well.
- Add shredded cheeses last and stir well to combine.
- Spoon into a casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes, or until completely heated and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle evenly with paprika.