This creamy potato salad prepared with red potatoes, crunchy celery, green onions, bacon and dill is a hearty and comforting make-ahead side dish!
Although this can be served immediately, it’s best when it has had a little time in the refrigerator for the flavors to develop, which makes this a perfect make-ahead side dish. No summer cookout or potluck is complete without potato salad!
This is incredibly simple to prepare. First, you’ll stir and coat the cooked potatoes in a simple mayonnaise mixture with dill, spicy mustard and seasonings. Then you’ll add chopped cooked bacon, green onions and celery. Stir again to combine all of the ingredients. Easy peasy!
This recipe can easily be adjusted to suit your personal tastes.
- Substitute red or yellow onion for the green onions.
- Add in chopped hard-boiled eggs… yum!
- Omit the bacon if you’re pushed for time OR use packaged bacon recipe pieces. I don’t recommend the artificial bacon bits.
- Adjust the amount of dill and seasonings in the mayonnaise mixture to your liking, or even add more mayo and/or spicy mustard for a creamier consistency.
How Many People Does This Serve?
This recipe yields approximately ten cups of potato salad, so about ten servings at one cup each.
How Long Does Potato Salad Last In The Fridge?
This lasts in the fridge for up to four days if stored and covered properly.
A hearty and comforting make-ahead side dish!
- 3 pounds red potatoes, rinsed and scrubbed clean, cut into about 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup fully cooked chopped bacon pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (green and white parts, about 2 to 3 green onions)
- 3/4 cup sliced celery (about 2 to 3 stalks, depending upon size)
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium to maintain a gentle boil. Cook until fork-tender (but not falling apart), about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and allow to cool while you’re preparing the other ingredients.
- Stir together mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, dill and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Transfer drained and cooled potatoes to the bowl with the mayonnaise mixture and gently stir to coat potatoes evenly. Add bacon, green onions and celery and gently stir again to incorporate.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red potato salad, red potato salad with dill
Originally published April 2017. Updated with new photographs, helpful tips, recipe slightly revised and republished May 2020.