These delicious Shredded Beef Enchiladas are incredibly easy to make by using leftover Mexican shredded beef. Tortilla shells are wrapped with tender pulled beef, then smothered in enchilada sauce and cheese. A dinner the whole family will love!
I recently posted my Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef recipe and had leftovers. So what else was there to do except to transform that beef into cheesy enchiladas?! You can also use Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef in these enchiladas… it’s just as delicious, but in a fraction of the time!
- Mexican shredded beef – Prepared in your slow cooker or instant pot.
- Canned diced green chiles – Drained well.
- Shredded cheese – I use colby jack but cheddar jack can also be used.
- Tortillas – I use flour tortillas because they are more flexible than corn tortillas and easier to work with… but corn tortillas are more traditional and can most definitely be used instead of flour.
- Red enchilada sauce – You decide the heat (mild, medium or hot).
How to Prepare
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spread ½ cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish. Toss together the shredded beef and green chiles in a medium bowl.
Step 2: Wrap the stack of tortillas in dampened paper towels and microwave for 1 minute (although this step isn’t technically required, it helps to make them more flexible and there is less chance of them tearing).
Step 3: Evenly distribute beef mixture down the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (reserve half of the cheese for topping). Wrap tortillas tightly and place seam-side down into baking dish.
Step 4: Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Step 5: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling around the edges of baking dish.
The sky is the limit when it comes to toppings! Here are a few suggestions:
- Sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped red onion
- Sliced jalapenos (if you like heat)
- Sliced black olives
- pico de gallo
More Mexican Deliciousness
Shredded Beef Enchiladas
- 1 (19 ounce) can red enchilada sauce divided
- 3 cups Mexican shredded beef
- 1 (4 ½ ounce) can diced green chiles well drained
- 8 (8 inch) tortillas flour or corn
- 8 ounces colby jack cheese shredded, divided
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spread ½ cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Toss together the shredded beef and green chiles in a medium bowl.
- Wrap the stack of 8 tortillas in dampened paper towels and microwave for 1 minute.
- Evenly distribute beef mixture down the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle shredded cheese over each tortilla (reserve HALF of the cheese for topping).
- Wrap tortillas tightly and place seam-side down into the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas, then sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake (uncovered) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling around the edges of dish.
- Top with desired toppings.
- Cheddar jack can be substituted for colby jack cheese.
- Microwaving tortillas isn’t technically required but there are less chances of tearing the tortillas when wrapping if they are heated.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.