This quick and easy Pico de Gallo is a refreshing and healthy snack food or appetizer. It’s also delicious served with your favorite Mexican dishes!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Cinco de Mayo is approaching (can you believe it?!) and this recipe is always on my menu. But it’s so incredibly easy, I enjoy snacking on it throughout the year.
You just can’t beat all the fresh flavors AND the fact this takes just 10 minutes to throw together with simple ingredients!
Pico de Gallo is typically prepared with chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, peppers, salt and lime juice. I like to add garlic and black pepper to mine, but feel free to omit if you’re going for full-on authenticity.
What’s the difference between Pico de Gallo and salsa?
Pico de Gallo is a type of salsa, but is never cooked like some salsas. It has very little liquid and isn’t as “soupy” as traditional salsa. Pico de Gallo also has a chunkier texture than salsa.
How long does Pico de Gallo keep in the fridge?
Store in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator for up to approximately 5 days.
What can I serve Pico de Gallo with?
- Tortilla chips
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
- Mushroom Quesadillas
- Chicken Tacos
- Easy Beef Enchiladas
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
Originally published July 13, 2014. Updated with new photographs and recipe slightly revised on April 10, 2019.Print
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 2–1/2 cups diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups diced)
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- Juice from 1/2 lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to approximately 5 days.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: pico de gallo, pico recipe