This quick and easy Pico de Gallo is a refreshing and healthy snack food or appetizer. It’s also delicious served with your favorite Mexican dishes!
Cinco de Mayo is approaching (can you believe it?!) and this appetizer is always on my menu. It’s so incredibly easy, I enjoy snacking on it all throughout the year.
You just can’t beat all the fresh flavors AND the fact this takes just 15 minutes to throw together with simple ingredients!
This refreshing appetizer is typically prepared with chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, peppers, salt and lime juice. I like to add garlic and black pepper to mine, but feel free to omit if you’re going for full-on authenticity.
What’s the difference between Pico de Gallo and salsa?
Pico de Gallo is a type of salsa, but is never cooked like some salsas. It has very little liquid and isn’t as “soupy” as traditional salsa. It also has a chunkier texture than salsa.
How long does this keep in the fridge?
Store in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator for up to approximately 5 days.
- Tortilla chips
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
- Mushroom Quesadillas
- Pork Carnitas
- Easy Beef Enchiladas
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
More Mexican Appetizers
Pico de Gallo
- 4 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced (about 2 ½ cups diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (about 2 cups diced)
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and diced
- Juice from ½ lime about 1 tablespoon
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt more or less, to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper more or less, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to approximately 5 days.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published July 13, 2014. Updated with new photographs and recipe slightly revised on April 10, 2019.