So tender, juicy and flavorful… this Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is a MUST MAKE for your next taco night. Let your crock pot do the work!
But don’t just limit this amazing beef to tacos. It’s awesome with nachos, burritos, quesadillas, or use it as a filling in enchiladas… or you can just eat it with a fork like I do sometimes. It’s that good!
Have you seen all the rave reviews on my Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef?! Well, this is basically the same recipe but slow cooks to perfection. It’s impossible to resist!
- Beef chuck roast – 2 1/2 to 3 pounds.
- Beef broth
- Dried herbs and spices – salt, black pepper, ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Salsa – use your favorite homemade salsa or your favorite store-bought brand.
- Olive oil – for searing the beef roast.
How to Prepare
Following is a brief overview of how to prepare – please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
Step 1 – Whisk together the herbs and seasonings with beef broth in a small bowl.
Step 2 – Sear the roast in a large skillet on the stove top. Please note that searing the roast is not absolutely necessary, but it does add a little more flavor. So if you’re in a hurry you can most definitely skip this step!
Step 3 – Place the seared roast in your slow cooker insert and pour the seasoned broth mixture and salsa over the roast. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours, or on high heat for 4 hours (or until tender).
Step 4 – Transfer the roast to a platter, rimmed baking sheet or cutting board and shred using 2 forks. Discard any fat. Skim off any fat that has risen in the liquid in the slow cooker. Remove liquid from slow cooker to leave about 1 1/2 cups (or you can leave it all if you want it super juicy!).
Step 5 – Return the shredded beef back to the crock pot and toss with liquid to coat.
More Slow Cooker Mexican Deliciousness
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 ½ to 3 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 cup prepared salsa your favorite!
- Whisk together salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and beef broth in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, sear the roast on all sides until golden brown (using large tongs to flip roast). *
- Place the roast in a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour beef broth mixture over roast evenly. Top with salsa. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or on high heat for 4 to 5 hours (or until tender).
- Carefully remove roast from slow cooker and place on a platter, cutting board or rimmed baking sheet. Shred using 2 forks, discarding any fat.
- Skim off any fat that has risen in the liquid in the slow cooker. Remove liquid from slow cooker to leave about 1 ½ cups (or leave all the liquid if you prefer it very juicy). Return shredded beef to liquid mixture and toss to coat with liquid as evenly as possible.
- *Searing the roast is not necessarily a required step, but does add a little more flavor.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published March 2017. Updated with new photos, new text and recipe slightly revised April 2022.