Coleslaw gets a Mexican twist in this flavorful Mexican Coleslaw. Using a prepared coleslaw mix slashes time in this easy recipe that comes together in just 15 minutes. Serve it as a side dish or on your favorite tacos!
This zesty slaw is tossed in a simple dressing prepared with olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, honey, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper (no mayo!).
- Packaged prepared deli-style coleslaw mix – A convenient mixture of shredded green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots.
- Jalapeños – Seeded and diced.
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Lime zest
- Black pepper
- Ground cumin
- Wear food prep gloves when dicing the jalapeños to prevent the oils from irritating your skin.
- Zest the lime before juicing.
How to Prepare
- Toss the coleslaw ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat evenly.
This slaw is best when served about 20 to 30 minutes after refrigerating to allow the flavors to meld.
To prepare ahead of time, the vegetables can be sliced in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 to 3 days. The dressing can also be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated in an airtight container.
When ready to serve, toss the cabbage mixture in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Add crushed red pepper to the dressing to increase the heat.
- Adjust the seasonings in the dressing to suit your taste.
- Add chopped bell pepper or celery for added flavor and texture.
For the cabbage mixture:
- 1 (14 ounce) bag prepared coleslaw mix (deli-style)*
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers seeded and diced (about ¼ cup diced)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup tightly packed chopped fresh cilantro
For the dressing:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- Toss the coleslaw mix, jalapeño peppers, red onion, and cilantro in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, lime zest, salt, pepper, garlic, and cumin in a small bowl. Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld.
- *The bagged coleslaw mix yields about 7 ½ cups. If you want to make your own coleslaw mix, use a mixture of 7 cups of shredded (or very thinly sliced) green and red cabbage and ½ cup of shredded carrots.
- This is best when served 20 to 30 minutes after refrigerating.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.