This rich and creamy Chili Con Queso is the ultimate cheesy dip using cheddar and pepper jack cheeses. It’s easily customizable to your personal taste and ready in under 30 minutes!
Making this dip from scratch is so much easier than you may think. It’s not just for tortilla chips, either. Serve it on top of baked potatoes, with tacos, burritos or even as a dip for fresh veggies… because everything’s better with cheese, right?!
Your Simple Ingredients
As you can see, there’s nothing fancy here. The majority of the time required for this recipe is the shredding and dicing – after that it’s smooth sailing towards all of that cheesy goodness!
How to Make It
- Start out by cooking jalapeno, onion and garlic in butter over medium high heat.
- Pour in a mixture of milk and cornstarch and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened.
- Reduce heat and add cheeses and seasonings, stirring until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Stir in diced tomatoes.
Ways to Customize
Adjust the seasonings and/or add one or more of the following variations to make this dip your personal favorite!
- Chili powder
- Hot sauce
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Diced serrano peppers
- Black beans (canned that have been rinsed and drained)
- Cooked ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning
How to Store
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
How to Reheat
Add milk as needed for desired consistency when reheating.
- Stove Top – Reheat in a saucepan over medium-low to medium heat, stirring often. Do not allow to come to a boil.
- Microwave – Reheat in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Slow Cooker – Reheat on low heat (covered), stirring occasionally. The time will vary depending upon how much of the dip you are reheating.
Originally published March 2017. Updated with new photographs, helpful tips, recipe revised and republished May 2020.