This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
You’re going to absolutely love this Chili con Queso… it’s so creamy, cheesy and perfectly seasoned!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I’m gearing up for a little Cinco de Mayo get together I’m going to be having with a few close friends, appetizers and margaritas. This queso dip has been on my list for a while to make. Time has a tendency to creep up on me so I figured this recipe just HAD to be made. Like today.
Notice how I blamed it on time slipping away. Heck, I just wanted some of this cheesy creamy goodness!
Because who says you have to wait for Cinco de Mayo to enjoy Mexican food?! I think not.
This is no doubt going to be served at the party. I’ve always loved celebrating Cinco de Mayo but have never hosted a party (although I’ve been to many). It’s never too late to start a new tradition!Print
Creamy, cheesy and perfectly seasoned queso dip!
- 1–1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and diced (about 1/3 cup diced)
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 small Roma tomato, seeded and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Tortilla chips
- Whisk together cornstarch an milk in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat butter over medium high heat in a saucepan. Add onion and jalapeno and saute until onions are translucent (about 3-4 minutes). Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Pour cornstarch and milk mixture into saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened (about a minute).
- Reduce heat to low and gradually add cheeses, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring in-between.
- Add salt and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
- Top with diced tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.