This hearty and comforting Slow Cooker Ham Bone Soup is a perfect way to use leftover holiday ham. It’s loaded with tender ham, white beans and veggies and prepared with staple pantry and fridge ingredients.
If you’re making a holiday ham, don’t throw away that ham bone! This delicious soup requires just 15 minutes prep time and is slow cooked to perfection. Let your slow cooker do the work while you’re baking up a skillet of cornbread to go with it!
Your Simple Ingredients
- A meaty leftover ham bone and 1 cup of shredded or cubed leftover ham
- Yellow onion
- Canned cannellini beans – rinsed and drained
- Russet potatoes
- Frozen corn
- Chicken broth
- Dried thyme
- Black pepper – I typically don’t use salt in this recipe because the ham makes it salty enough for my taste buds, but feel free to add it if you prefer it to be saltier.
- Bay leaves (2)
- Chopped fresh parsley – optional garnish
How to Prepare
- Place your ham bone in the insert of a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients (except parsley). Cover and cook on high heat for 5 to 6 hours or on low heat for 9 to 10 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Carefully remove the ham bone and shred the meat from the bone.
- Return meat to slow cooker and discard bone. Remove bay leaves and discard.
Number of Servings
This recipe yields approximately 12 cups of soup.
More Leftover Ham Recipes
Slow Cooker Ham Bone Soup
- 1 leftover meaty ham bone fully cooked
- 1 cup shredded or cubed leftover ham fully cooked
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced celery sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes about 2 potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 7 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 ¼ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper more or less, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley optional garnish
- Place ham bone in the insert of a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker. Add shredded (or cubed) ham, carrots, onion, celery, beans, potatoes, corn, chicken broth, garlic, thyme, pepper and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 5 to 6 hours, or on low heat for 9 to 10 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Carefully remove ham bone and shred meat from bone. Return meat to slow cooker and stir to combine. Discard ham bone.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley when serving, if desired.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
I added some cabbage and deleted the corn.
This recipe made my “Keepers” pin.
Excellent recipe!! Turned out great! So tasty!