Using mostly pantry and refrigerator staple ingredients, these easy Salmon Patties are a delicious dinner in under 20 minutes. Flaky and tender on the inside and crispy around the edges, these flavorful patties are pan-fried to perfection.
This tried and trusted recipe is a lifesaver when it comes to getting a home cooked dinner on the table in a hurry. These salmon patties (aka salmon cakes) are hearty, satisfying and budget-friendly, too!
Your Simple Ingredients
- Vegetable oil
- Canned salmon
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Lemon juice
- Green bell pepper
- Yellow onion
- Saltine crackers – Bread crumbs or panko can be substituted
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Salmon Patties
Making these patties is basically effortless and takes very little time!
- You’ll start by draining the juices from the canned salmon. Place the salmon in a large bowl and pick out any bones and discard (see notes below regarding bones).
- Flake salmon with a fork and add crushed saltine crackers, egg, garlic, lemon juice, onion, green bell pepper, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. Combine and form into 5 patties.
- Fry in vegetable oil approximately 3 minutes on each side in a nonstick skillet (the patties are fragile – using a nonstick skillet helps to keep your patties from breaking when flipping). Place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
Do You Pick Out the Bones in Canned Salmon?
I personally choose to pick out the bones (I don’t care for their texture), but it’s totally personal preference. The bones in canned salmon are edible and are a rich source of calcium. Be sure to mash the bones with a fork in the mixture if you decide to leave the bones.
How to Reheat
Salmon patties are best when reheated on the stove top. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and reheat over medium heat (on both sides) until heated through.
How Many Patties Does This Recipe Make?
I use 1/2 cup of salmon patty mixture for each patty, which yields 5 (3-inch) patties.
Hooray for quick, delicious and budget-friendly dinners!Print
Using mostly pantry and refrigerator staple ingredients, these flavorful salmon patties are a quick, budget-friendly dinner in under 20 minutes!
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, drained
- 15 saltine crackers, crushed (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2–1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place salmon in a large bowl and pick out any bones and discard*. Flake salmon with a fork.
- Add crushed crackers, egg, garlic, lemon juice, onion, green pepper, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix ingredients with your hands or a large spoon. Form into 5 patties (1/2 cup of salmon mixture for each patty).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add patties and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- *If you choose to include the bones, mash them with a fork into the mixture.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, spray a skillet with cooking spray and reheat on the stove top over medium heat (on both sides) until heated through.
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salmon cakes, salmon patties with crackers
Originally published March 2016. Updated and republished January 2020 with new photographs and helpful tips.