So savory, satisfying and comforting… this homemade French Onion Soup is so easy to make right at home!
I’ve always enjoyed this soup at restaurants, but never knew how easy it was to make in my own kitchen until a few years ago. I tried a few different variations until I got it like it tasted at one of my favorite restaurants and have been making it homemade ever since.
Don’t get me wrong, I still order this soup when dining out, but there’s nothing like smelling it simmer on the stove on a cold day… so cozy!
This recipe yields about 5 cups, which is (4) 1-¼ cup servings. If you’re a huge fan of this soup, you’ll probably want to double this recipe.
If you’ve never made this soup, please don’t be intimidated like I was. It’s so very easy – and insanely delicious!
More Comforting Soups You’ll LovePrint
French Onion Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 (1 ¼ cup) servings
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped or sliced yellow onion (about 1 ½ large onions)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (and additional thyme for garnish, if desired)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 (10.5-ounce) cans beef broth
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 4 French bread slices
- Provolone cheese slices (1 to 2 slices per bowl)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (about a tablespoon per bowl)
- Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish (if desired)
- Melt butter in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook onions until soft and caramelized, stirring often, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add beef broth and red wine. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15-20 minutes (uncovered). Remove and discard bay leaf.
- When ready to serve, turn on your oven broiler. Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls or ramekins. Top with bread, provolone cheese slices and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place bowls on a cookie sheet and broil until cheese is melted, bubbly and a light golden brown. Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: french onion soup, french onion soup recipe
Adapted from AllRecipes and Food Network
Originally published on November 2, 2015. Recipe slightly revised with new photos and video on November 5, 2018.
Amazing and simple to make. I was looking for a quick and easy French onion soup recipe and this one definitely does it! Amazing flavor?
Arthur in the Garden!
Yummy! My fav! Just wondering—if your face still bluish?
Amy @ The Blond Cook
Thank you! Arthur, it took me a whole package of make-up remover wipes to get off all of the blue, LOL! But it was worth the fun and laughs! 🙂
This looks delicious! Perfect for these cooler evenings 🙂 I could really use a bowl right now!
Amy @ The Blond Cook
Thank you so much, Amanda! 🙂