Tender, juicy chicken breasts smothered in a savory French onion gravy then topped with melted provolone and Gruyere cheese is a quick, easy and satisfying weeknight dinner.
You can never have too many awesome chicken recipes and this one does not disappoint. A bonus is that it’s ready in just 35 minutes!
If you love French onion soup, this MUST be on your chicken dinner menu rotation. One of the many things I love about this recipe is that it’s quick and simple for busy weeknights, but elegant enough for a weekend dinner to serve to guests.
- Chicken – Use two large boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are sliced in half horizontally.
- Onion – Sweet or yellow onion can be used.
- Gruyere – I love the combination of this sweet and salty cheese combined with provolone, but it can be omitted (but the provolone is a MUST!).
A Helpful Tip for Slicing the Chicken
Place your chicken in the freezer about 30 minutes before slicing. This firms the meat a little, making it easier to slice.
How to Make It
This recipe moves fast, so I recommend having all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go. Following are the simplified instructions:
- Brown onions in an OVEN SAFE skillet in butter (I love my Lodge cast iron skillet). Add garlic the last 30 seconds of browning.
- Remove onions and cook chicken in olive oil. Transfer chicken to the plate with the onions.
- Return onions to skillet and prepare the gravy.
- Return cooked chicken to the skillet, top with cheeses and broil in the oven until cheese is melted.
More Easy Chicken Dinners You’ll Love
French Onion Chicken
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds) sliced in half horizontally
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 large sweet onion sliced in half, then thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups beef broth low sodium
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 ounces Gruyere cheese shredded (½ cup)
- Season both sides of sliced chicken breasts with ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Melt butter in a large OVEN SAFE skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and season with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and thyme.
- Cook, stirring often, (using a wooden spoon) until onions are browned and softened (about 10 to 11 minutes).
- Add garlic to onions and cook (while continuing to stir) until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer onions with garlic to a large plate.
- Heat olive oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, cooked through and no longer pink in the middle (about 4 minutes on each side depending upon thickness).
- Transfer chicken to the plate with the onions.
- Return onions with garlic to the skillet and sprinkle with flour. Stir well, while scraping any browned bits off of the bottom of the skillet for 1 minute.
- Add beef broth and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to maintain a simmer (medium low). Simmer until slightly thickened (about 1 ½ minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and turn your oven broiler on high.
- Carefully return chicken to the skillet and spoon gravy and some of the onions over the chicken.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 slice of provolone cheese and sprinkle with shredded Gruyere.
- Place under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Sweet or yellow onion can be used.
- To help with slicing the chicken, place in your freezer for about 30 minutes before slicing to firm up the meat.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.