All of your favorite baked potato toppings come together in this easy, creamy and comforting Loaded Baked Potato Soup.
This soup is so simple to prepare and is full of bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and green onions. Customize it to your liking with more of your favorite toppings, if desired.
Your Simple Ingredients
- Fully cooked bacon, crumbled or diced
- Russet potatoes
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- All-purpose flour
- Green onions
- Sour Cream
- Salt and pepper
How Long Does This Soup Last in the Fridge?
This soup is good for up to 3 days when stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat leftovers on the stove top in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until heated through. Add additional milk as necessary for desired consistency.
More Comforting Soups
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes 3 to 4 potatoes, about ½inch bite size pieces
- 3 green onions sliced (about ½½ cup sliced) and additional for garnish, if desired
- 1 cup diced or crumbled fully cooked bacon and additional for garnish, if desired
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese and additional for garnish, if desired
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt more or less, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper more or less, to taste
- Melt butter in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Slowly add flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add milk while continuing to whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and green onions and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer (uncovered) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently. Add bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir until combined and cheese is melted.
- Serve garnished with additional bacon, green onions and cheese, if desired.
- This recipe yields approximately 6 ½ cups of soup (4 servings)
- Add additional milk for a thinner consistency, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat on the stove top in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- Adapted from Damn Delicious and Center Cut Cook
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published February 2016. Updated with new photographs, recipe slightly revised and republished on January 12, 2020.