So savory, rich and comforting… this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is comfort food at its finest!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
I love a good hot bowl of soup any time of the year, but there’s something about this tomato soup that I especially crave when I’m feeling under the weather. It just warms my soul!
Have I mentioned how awesome it smells while simmering?!
This is an older recipe on the blog that I brought back with new photos. I haven’t made this soup in a while… I took a taste while it was simmering and just had to give it some new glory.
Not only is this soup incredibly delicious, it’s so EASY to prepare. Top it off with Parmesan cheese and croutons for added flavor and texture (sooooo good!). Restaurant-style tomato soup has never been easier!
Originally published April 8, 2014 and updated October 15, 2018.Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (about 2–1/2 cups chopped)
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes in juices
- 4 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup loosely packed finely chopped fresh basil
- Optional: shredded or grated Parmesan cheese and/or croutons, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until soft and just beginning to brown (about 8 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add minced garlic, stirring until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add tomatoes, juice, chicken stock, sugar, bread crumbs and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, carefully puree tomato mixture. If you don’t have an immersion blender, place in a regular blender in small batches (exercise caution while blending hot liquids – blend small amounts at a time and hold down the top of blender pitcher while blending because there is a risk of the top blowing off and hot liquids to blow out!) and return to pot and stir well.
- Return to oven burner over medium heat. Add milk and basil. Stir to combine. Simmer (covered) for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with shredded or grated Parmesan cheese and/or croutons.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy tomato basil soup, tomato basil soup, tomato basil soup recipe, creamy tomato soup, easy tomato basil soup