This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup is so easy to make and is the ultimate comfort food soup!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
This is my go-to soup when I’m feeling under the weather. It’s creamy, cheesy and comforting. This soup also re-heats well and never disappoints!
How Much Soup Does This Recipe Make?
This recipe yields approximately 8 cups. Serve with French bread and a garden salad for a complete and satisfying meal!
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli in this Recipe?
Absolutely! Use a 24-ounce bag of frozen broccoli florets or 6 cups of fresh broccoli florets.
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I have over the years. If you’re looking for a lower-fat version of this recipe, check out my recipe for Skinny Broccoli Cheddar Soup!
More Comforting Soups You’ll Love
Originally published February 26, 2012. Updated with new photographs and recipe slightly revised August 28, 2019.Print
Broccoli Cheddar Soup is so easy to make right at home – It’s the ultimate comfort food soup!
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets or 1 (24-ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup julienned carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1–1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 2–1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Place broccoli florets and carrots in a dutch oven or soup pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 3 minutes. Drain vegetables in a colander and set aside.
- In the same empty soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Slowly add flour, about a tablespoon at a time, while constantly whisking. Once all of the flour is added and there is a paste formed, slowly add chicken broth, while continuing to whisk.
- Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add cheese, continuing to stir until cheese is melted.
- Add broccoli and carrots, garlic, nutmeg, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli cheddar soup, broccoli cheese soup