This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
By utilizing leftover cooked chicken and a packaged dirty rice mix, this comforting and hearty Cajun Chicken Stew is on the table in just 40 minutes!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I’m all about saving time while still being able to cook a flavorful meal that everyone loves. This soup is so delicious, no one will EVER know you took a few shortcuts!
How Many Does This Soup Serve?
This recipe yields about 12 cups, which is 6 generous (2 cup) servings.
If you don’t have leftover cooked chicken, you can also buy a cooked deli rotisserie chicken and shred the meat for this recipe… SO EASY!
More Comforting Stews You’ll Love
Originally published February 8, 2017. Photographs updated, recipe slightly revised and republished September 1, 2019.Print
By utilizing leftover cooked chicken and a packaged dirty rice mix, this comforting and hearty stew is on the table in just 40 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups fully cooked shredded chicken
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package New Orleans Style Dirty Rice Mix (I used Zatarain’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add red bell pepper, celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and chicken broth. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked chicken, kidney beans, contents from rice package, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked and tender.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cajun chicken stew, cajun chicken stew recipe