This Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is so comforting, hearty and nutritious… a delicious meal in 45 minutes!
I must admit that when I first tried this recipe a few years ago, I was skeptical about the combination of sweet potatoes and chili ingredients… WOW, I sure was wrong! When I’m craving a healthier chili (without sacrificing flavor), this is my go-to recipe.
Your basic ingredients required are quite simple – You can make this chili even heartier by adding browned ground turkey… DELICIOUS!
I love to top it with my favorite chili toppings (avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro)… all of them!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into approximately ½ inch cubes (about 5 cups cubed)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro optional
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a dutch oven or soup pot. Add sweet potato cubes, onion and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until onion and celery are soft (stirring often).
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with juices and black beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published November 4, 2015. Recipe slightly revised and updated with new photographs January 7, 2019.
Adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking