This Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is so comforting, hearty and healthy!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
I must admit that when I first tried this recipe a few years ago, I was skeptical about the combination of sweet potatoes and chili ingredients… wow I sure was wrong! When I’m craving a healthier chili (without sacrificing flavor), this is my go-to recipe.
You can make this chili even heartier by adding browned ground turkey.
I love to top it with my favorite chili toppings (avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro)… all of them!
Originally published November 4, 2015. Recipe slightly revised and updated with new photographs January 7, 2019.Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 average-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into approximately 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups cubed)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a dutch oven or soup pot. Add sweet potato cubes, onion and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until onion and celery are soft (stirring often).
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with juices and black beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking