This homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup is pure comfort in a bowl. Sautéed buttery mushrooms and onions are in a rich, creamy and velvety soup that is prepared in just 30 minutes. You’ll never want to open a can of mushroom soup again after you see just how simple it is to make at home!
If you’re a mushroom lover (like me) you are going to LOVE this soup. It’s chock-full of fresh mushrooms and can be easily adapted to your personal taste. It’s one of my favorite soups to enjoy on a cold day and the leftovers (if you’re lucky enough to have any) reheat beautifully.
- Butter – I use unsalted butter so that I can better control the saltiness.
- Mushrooms – I use baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms, but white mushrooms will work as well (please note that white mushrooms are milder in flavor). I prefer the deeper, meatier flavor of cremini mushrooms in this recipe.
- Yellow onion
- Flour – All-purpose
- Black pepper
- Dried thyme – If using fresh thyme, increase the dried amount by three times.
- Garlic powder
- Chicken broth (low sodium) – Chicken stock can also be used.
- Bay leaf
- Half-and-half – Heavy cream can be substituted for a creamier consistency, but I find that half-and-half is plenty creamy enough.
How to Prepare
Following is a brief overview – please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
Step 1: Melt butter in a 6 quart Dutch oven or soup pot. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté until tender.
Step 2: Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and 2 cups of the chicken broth in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour into mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
Step 3: Add remaining broth and bay leaf and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes, or until thickened.
Step 4: Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Pour in half-and half and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste (if desired). Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
5 Star ReviewWonderful mushroom soup recipe! It’s easy, economical, made with ingredients you probably already have, simple-to-remember and most of all, DELICIOUS!! I’ve looked a long time for a recipe that checks all the boxes…I finally found it!! BIG thumbs UP !!! ~ Sonja
- Texture: I prefer the texture of sliced mushrooms in this soup, but feel free to use an immersion blender if you prefer a smoother consistency.
- Make it Vegetarian: Use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
- Flavor: As always, feel free to adjust the herbs and seasonings to your personal taste.
Video: Cream of Mushroom Soup
Storage and Reheating
- Storing leftovers: Once soup has cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
- Reheating: Reheat on the stovetop in a saucepan over medium heat (stirring often), or in the microwave for approximately 1 ½ minutes (stirring every 30 seconds).
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 pound fresh baby bella (cremini) mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Melt butter in a 6 quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender (stirring frequently).
- Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and 2 cups of the chicken broth in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour into mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Add remaining broth and bay leaf and stir to combine. Bring to a boil (while stirring occasionally). Cook, stirring constantly for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Pour in half and half and stir to combine. Simmer (uncovered) for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste (if desired). Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
- Vegetable broth can be substituted for chicken broth.
- White mushrooms can be substituted for baby Bella.
- Once cooled, store in in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
- For a smoother texture, carefully use an immersion blender to blend until desired consistency is reached.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published February 2019. Updated with new photos and new text January 2023.