Italian Sausage and Tortellini soup with spinach is a quick, easy, and satisfying one pot meal. It’s prepared in just 30 minutes and bursting with flavor!
I’m welcoming the arrival of soup season with open arms and celebrating with a big bowl of this cozy tortellini soup. This recipe is about as stress-free as it gets when it comes to getting a homemade dinner on the table quickly.
This delicious soup is full of cheese tortellini, sausage and spinach in a savory broth with diced tomatoes. You will LOVE it!
- Italian sausage – I typically use mild or sweet in this recipe, but feel free to use hot sausage if that’s what you prefer.
- Tortellini – This recipe calls for refrigerated cheese tortellini.
- Spinach – A five ounce package is the perfect amount for this soup!
- Yellow onion
- Chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Bay leaf
- Italian seasoning – feel free to adjust the amount to your personal preference.
- Black pepper
- Parmesan cheese – optional garnish (but I highly recommend it!).
How to make Sausage Tortellini Soup
Following is a brief overview – please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
- Cook sausage, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Drain off fat.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and return to a boil. Cook until tortellini is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, add spinach and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and tortellini is tender.
Number of Servings
This recipe yields about nine cups of soup, so I’d say this is four to six servings (totally dependent upon your family’s appetite!).
More Cozy Soups You’ll Love
Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage hot, mild or sweet
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth 4 cups
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 (5 ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese optional garnish
- Cook sausage and onions in a 6 quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat, crumbling sausage with a wooden spoon while it is cooking. Cook until sausage is browned, no longer pink and fully cooked.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), stirring constantly.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes with juices, Italian seasoning, black pepper and bay leaf. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and return to a boil. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until tortellini is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add spinach. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and tortellini is tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese when serving, if desired.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.