Grab a huge spoon and throw on your lounge pants, because you’re gonna need to when eating this incredible Italian Tortellini Soup!
Oh my word. This soup, you guys…. it’s one of my new favorites. There are just so many awesome flavors going on in this. It smelled so good simmering, my dog Baby sat right by me the whole time I was cooking it.
How Many People Does This Serve?
This recipe makes about two quarts of soup, so depending upon everyone’s appetite, I’d say it feeds four to six people easily as a main course.
Packed full of sausage, spinach and cheesy tortellini in an Italian seasoned broth… you just can’t go wrong with this soup! If you want to throw a healthier spin on it, you can use ground turkey sausage and low sodium chicken broth.
A hearty and comforting soup packed with sausage, spinach and cheese tortellini.
- 1 pound mild sausage
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 (5 ounce) package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place sausage and onions in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Cook until sausage is browned and no longer pink, crumbling sausage with a wooden spoon while cooking.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add chicken broth, water, diced tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and return to a boil. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until tortellini is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and add spinach, Italian seasoning and pepper. Stir well to combine. Cook an additional 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and tortellini are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: italian tortellini soup
Adapted from Taste of Home