Taco night gets a cozy twist in this incredibly easy, hearty and zesty Taco Soup. Customize it with your favorite toppings for a one pot 30-minute meal everyone will love!
What I love about this soup is that it’s practically effortless, prepared with staple ingredients (that you probably have on-hand) AND it’s budget-friendly, too. A total SCORE for a busy weeknight dinner!
It can also be prepared in your slow cooker to have dinner ready when you walk through the door.
- I like to use 80/20 or 85/15 ground beef for a little added flavor. Feel free to use a leaner ground beef, if desired.
- Diced tomatoes and green chilies (RO*TEL) give this soup so much zesty flavor. Use your favorite heat level (I normally use mild or original).
- Use your favorite packaged taco seasoning, or two tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning.
- Feel free to use either dark red or light red kidney beans.
Simply brown ground beef with onion in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Drain off the fat, then add fresh garlic and cook until fragrant. Add beef broth, water, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and green chilies, corn, kidney beans, black beans and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and simmer for 10 minutes. So easy!
When properly stored in an airtight container, this soup is good for 3 days in the refrigerator.
Absolutely! Freeze in airtight freezer bags for up to 6 months.
This soup is delicious with cornbread, corn chips and your favorite taco toppings – the possibilities are endless!
More Taco Inspired Recipes
- Creamy Taco Spaghetti (one pot and 30 minutes!)
- Taco Ranch Meatballs
Easy Taco Soup
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef I use 80/20
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups beef broth low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies undrained
- 1 (15 ¼ ounce) can whole kernel yellow corn drained
- 1 (15 ½ ounce) can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (1.5 ounce) packet taco seasoning or 2 tablespoons homemade
- Your favorite toppings
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a 6 quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat until beef is browned and no longer pink, crumbling beef with a wooden spoon while it is cooking (about 5 to 6 minutes). Drain off fat.
- Add garlic and cook (while stirring) until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add beef broth, water, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and green chilies, corn, kidney beans, black beans and taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Bring to just a boil, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a simmer (medium to medium low).
- Simmer for 10 minutes (uncovered), stirring occasionally.
- Serve with toppings, if desired.
- To prepare in your slow cooker: brown ground beef with onion in a large skillet over medium high heat and drain off fat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, while stirring. Transfer mixture into the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker. Add 2 cups beef broth, 1 ½ cups water, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and green chilies, corn, kidney beans, black beans and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 3 hours.
- Dark red or light red kidney beans can be used.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze in freezer bags for up to 6 months.
- This recipe yields approximately 11 cups.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published February 2014. Updated with new photos, new text, recipe revised and republished February 2021.
This smells like heaven simmering on the stove!. It is delicious, recipe is a keeper!
Amy @ The Blond Cook
Thanks so much, Elaine! Hope you enjoy! 🙂
This Southern Cook Rocks!!!☆