So rich, savory and satisfying… this easy homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup is pure comfort in a bowl!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
If you’re a mushroom lover (like me) you are going to LOVE this soup. It’s chock-full of fresh mushrooms in a rich, savory and creamy broth. The best part is that it’s ready in under 30 minutes. You’ll never want to buy canned soup again!
What type of mushrooms to use in this soup:
I used baby bella mushrooms in this recipe, but feel free to use any type or mixture of mushrooms.
Is this soup vegetarian?
This recipe calls for chicken broth, but vegetable broth can most certainly be used to make this vegetarian.
As always, feel free to adjust the herbs and seasonings to your personal preference. ENJOY!Print
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup half and half
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and 2 cups of the chicken broth in a large measuring cup or small bowl until smooth. Pour into mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Add remaining broth and bay leaf and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly for about 1-2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Add half and half and stir to combine. Simmer (uncovered) for 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cream of mushroom soup, homemade cream of mushroom soup