This amazing Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup is hearty, satisfying and comforting.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
If you’re a mushroom lover (like me), this soup is an absolute must-make. Don’t forget the crusty french bread!
I absolutely LOVE mushrooms. However, I prefer them cooked and not raw. This soup is so hearty, comforting and full of chicken, vegetables and of course… MUSHROOMS!
This recipe makes enough for 4 large portions or 6 average portions. Enjoy!
Again, Happy New Year and thanks for being a reader. Happy simmering! 🙂Print
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1–1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 (10-ounce) package baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced (or mushrooms of your choice)
- 2 heaping teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add diced chicken, carrots, celery and onion. Cook until chicken is almost done, about 6-7 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender (about 4-5 minutes).
- Slowly add flour while stirring to combine. Add chicken broth and thyme and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Cover. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cream and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and heat thoroughly before serving.
Adapted from About.com