Although spring is around the corner (thank goodness!) it’s definitely still cold enough to simmer a big pot of soup. Today I’m sharing this recipe for quick, and Easy Tomato Soup.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I absolutely LOVE homemade tomato soup! Not only is this soup satisfying, it comes together in less than 30 minutes. BONUS! I ate is as a meal with toasted French bread yesterday and am planning on having it for dinner tonight with a hearty salad.
MERCY this soup sure would have been awesome with a big fat grilled cheese sandwich… but I’m still trying to watch my eating habits.
I topped this soup with some some Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. You could also top it with croutons and/or swirl in some heavy cream.
This recipe calls for just a handful of simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand (so there’s no reason not to make it!). Enjoy!Print
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe – A quick, easy and satisfying tomato soup that is prepared in less than 30 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion (1 jumbo onion)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional toppings: Parmesan cheese, fresh sliced basil, cream, croutons, etc.
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), continuing to stir.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes with juice, oregano, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir well to combine. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Purée to desired consistency with an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender place soup in small batches in a blender or food processor (exercise caution while blending hot liquids – blend small amounts at a time and hold down the top of blender pitcher or food processor while blending because there is a risk of the top blowing off and hot liquids to blow out!).
- Top with desired toppings.