Classic comfort food is made simple in this quick, savory and comforting tomato soup prepared in just 30 minutes! It’s so easy to prepare using staple pantry ingredients (that you probably already have on-hand). This homemade soup is practically effortless!
This basic recipe slashes time by using canned tomatoes and other simple ingredients, and is one of my very favorite 30 minute meals. A bonus is that it freezes beautifully, too!
Serve it with a salad and crusty French bread (or a grilled cheese) for a complete meal.
Tomato Soup Ingredients
The ingredients couldn’t be any more simple!
- Tomatoes – one (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes.
- Chicken broth – I use low sodium so that I can better control the salt. If you want to make this vegan/vegetarian, swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- Yellow onion
- Dried oregano – Italian seasoning would be delicious, as well!
- Bay leaf
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh garlic
How to Prepare
Following is a very brief overview of how to prepare – please see the recipe card at the end of this post for full detailed instructions.
- In a 6 quart Dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and cook for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, canned tomatoes (with juices), oregano, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat as necessary to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully puree to your desired consistency (I prefer it silky smooth!).
Immersion Blender Alternatives
You can also use a blender or food processor to puree, but please exercise extreme caution when blending hot liquids. Hot liquids will expand in the blender or food processor and there is a risk of the top blowing off and hot liquids blowing out.
Blend small amounts at a time and hold down the top of your blender pitcher or food processor. Here is a helpful article on how to puree soup in a blender.
The end result is an amazingly delicious, smooth and savory soup.
Number of Servings
This recipe yields approximately seven cups, which is about four generous servings (or seven appetizer servings).
More Easy Soup Inspiration
Easy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt more or less, to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper more or less, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- In a 6 quart Dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), while continuing to stir.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes with juice, oregano, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir well to combine. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat as necessary to maintain a simmer (medium low to low).
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Carefully purée to desired consistency using an immersion blender. If you don't have an immersion blender place soup in small batches in a blender or food processor (exercise extreme caution while blending hot liquids – blend small amounts at a time and hold down the top cover of blender pitcher or food processor while blending because there is a risk of the top blowing off and hot liquids to blow out!).
- Top with desired toppings when serving, such as chopped fresh basil, parsley, croutons and/or Parmesan cheese.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
- Freeze in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Vegetable broth can substituted for chicken broth.
- Italian seasoning can be substituted for oregano.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published March 2017. Updated with new photos and new text January 2022.