This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Merry Christmas, friends! I hope your day is filled with love, laughter and delicious food with your loved ones. Today I’m sharing an easy (and delicious!) recipe perfect for New Year’s Day: Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Collard Greens and Sausage.
This soup is full of all the good stuff that’s perfect for New Year’s Day: black-eyed peas, collards, smoked sausage, vegetables and seasonings. It would be perfect with cornbread, French bread or even a grilled cheese sandwich… and it’s even better reheated the next day!
Growing up in the south, it’s totally unacceptable NOT to have collards and black-eyed peas on New Year’s. My mama even puts a silver dollar in her pot of collards while they cook, because apparently it brings good luck and fortune to do so. I guess I could have put one in this pot of soup??? 🙂
I have to be honest and admit I was a little skeptical about putting collards in a tomato-based soup. After eating it, I don’t understand WHY because it was insanely delicious.
I had a few of my deep-rooted southern friends come over the night I made it that loved it too. They had never tasted anything like it and asked for to-go bowls to take home with them, so I know you won’t go wrong by making this recipe on New Year’s Day.
May the new year bring you much happiness, love and prosperity. Merry Christmas!
More Black-Eyed Pea Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas and Ham
- Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Stew
- Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Sausage and Spinach
- Black-Eyed Pea Salsa
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups tightly packed chopped collard greens, tough stems removed
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage slices, onions, carrots and celery and cook for approximately 7 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic and thyme and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes with juice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add chopped collards and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until collard greens are tender.
- Stir in rinsed black-eyes peas, season with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black-eyed pea soup with collard greens and sausage
Inspired by Eating Well