This easy Black-Eyed Pea Salsa is a colorful and delicious appetizer that can easily be prepared ahead of time.
This is a good base recipe and is easily adjustable to your own personal taste. It’s a perfect appetizer any time of the year, but I especially love it for New Year’s (got to have those black-eyed peas for prosperity, right?!).
Ways to Customize Black-Eyed Pea Salsa
There are so many ways to adapt this recipe to your personal preference! Substitute or add the following (be sure to adjust dressing amount if adding ingredients):
- Canned sweet corn (drained)
- Chopped avocado (be sure to add just before serving so it doesn’t brown)
- Canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Use red onion and/or green onions instead of yellow onion
Other names I’ve heard this recipe called are Cowboy Caviar and Texas Caviar but I’ve always thought of it as a salsa. Whatever you choose to call it, it’s refreshingly delicious!
How Far In Advance Can I Make This?
This recipe is best when served within 24 hours (store in an airtight container in the refrigerator).
More Refreshing Appetizers You’ll LovePrint
An easy, colorful and delicious appetizer that can easily be made in advance.
For the Salsa:
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained well
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups seeded and diced Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
For the Dressing/Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Combine black-eyed peas, jalapeno, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes and cilantro in a large bowl by gently stirring.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle over black-eyed pea mixture and stir gently to coat. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste (if desired).
- Store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours before serving.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: black-eyed pea salsa