This easy Black-Eyed Pea Salsa is a colorful and delicious appetizer that can easily be prepared ahead of time.
This is a good base recipe and is easily adjustable to your own personal taste. It’s a perfect appetizer any time of the year, but I especially love it for New Year’s (got to have those black-eyed peas for prosperity, right?!).
Ways to Customize Black-Eyed Pea Salsa
There are so many ways to adapt this recipe to your personal preference! Substitute or add the following (be sure to adjust dressing amount if adding ingredients):
- Canned sweet corn (drained)
- Chopped avocado (be sure to add just before serving so it doesn’t brown)
- Canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Use red onion and/or green onions instead of yellow onion
Other names I’ve heard this recipe called are Cowboy Caviar and Texas Caviar but I’ve always thought of it as a salsa. Whatever you choose to call it, it’s refreshingly delicious!
How Far In Advance Can I Make This?
This recipe is best when served within 24 hours (store in an airtight container in the refrigerator).
More Refreshing Appetizers You’ll LovePrint
Black-Eyed Pea Salsa
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Approximately 7 cups
An easy, colorful and delicious appetizer that can easily be made in advance.
For the Salsa:
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained well
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups seeded and diced Roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
For the Dressing/Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Combine black-eyed peas, jalapeno, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes and cilantro in a large bowl by gently stirring.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle over black-eyed pea mixture and stir gently to coat. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste (if desired).
- Store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: black-eyed pea salsa
This is an awesome dish. I’ve made it several times. You can also use Italian salad dressing. Best eaten the next day. Delicious!!!