Here’s a delicious soup perfect for your New Years Day (or any day!) meal: Black Eyed Pea Soup with Sausage and Spinach.
I hope you had an awesome Christmas! I’ve gotten all of my decorations down and ready to start the new year fresh. Isn’t it crazy how empty your house feels after taking down the decorations? I’m enjoying more living room space, though… my tiny house is spaced-challenged already without the decorations!
ABOUT THIS SOUP. This soup is amazing! It’s chock full of sausage, spinach, black-eyed peas, carrots, onions, tomatoes and is perfectly seasoned.
By using hot pork sausage and RO*TEL (diced tomatoes and green chilies), I didn’t even need to season with salt and pepper (but that’s up to you!).
Serve it with this delicious skillet cornbread for a complete meal!
Here’s to a healthy, happy and prosperous new year. Enjoy!
More Black-Eyed Pea Recipes You’ll LovePrint
A hearty and comforting soup perfect for New Years Day!
- 1 pound hot pork sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups baby carrots (or peeled and sliced carrots)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (RO*TEL – undrained)
- 2 (15.8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups tightly packed baby spinach
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, brown sausage with onions and carrots over medium high heat until sausage is browned and no longer pink (about 5 to 6 minutes), stirring constantly (crumble sausage while cooking). Drain off any fat from sausage.
- Add garlic, thyme, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and RO*TEL. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add black-eyed peas and spinach and stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 3 to 4 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black eyed pea and sausage soup