This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas and Ham recipe is ridiculously easy… and ready in a fraction of the time than traditional methods!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I had leftover holiday ham in my freezer, a bag of black-eyed peas in my pantry and was totally craving some comforting soul food over the weekend… and I wanted it as quickly as I could get it.
Instant Pot to the rescue!
The best part???
SOAKING THE PEAS IS NOT REQUIRED.
All you have to do is rinse and sort the black-eyed peas.
How long does it take for Black-Eyed Peas and Ham to cook in the Instant Pot?
It takes approximately 55 minutes TOTAL. This includes:
- 5 minutes prep time
- 15 minutes for the pot to come to pressure (this is how long it took my pot)
- 15 minutes manual (high) pressure
- 20 minutes NPR (natural pressure release)
If you prefer your black-eyed peas a little on the firmer side, I’d recommend a 15-minute NPR instead of 20 minutes.
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 4 cups cubed, chopped or shredded fully cooked ham
- 1–1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Rinse and sort peas in a colander, removing and discarding any debris.
- Place beans and remaining ingredients (except parsley) in the insert of your Instant Pot and stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on and lock. Steam release knob should be set on “sealing”.
- Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 20 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and stir. Remove and discard bay leaf. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Cook time includes the time it took my pot to come to pressure and natural pressure release time.
- I used an Instant Pot LUX80 8-Quart in this recipe.
- Method: Pressure Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas and Ham, Instant Pot Dried Black-Eyed Peas, Black Eyed Pea Recipe Instant Pot