- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 (14-ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups tightly packed chopped collard greens, tough stems removed
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage slices, onions, carrots and celery and cook for approximately 7-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic and thyme and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes with juice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add chopped collards and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until collard greens are tender. Stir in rinsed black-eyes peas, season with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Inspired by Eating Well