This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I like to play around with recipes a lot and change things up. But there are some things you just can’t change to make better! One of those things being the recipe I got from my mama when I moved from home for her potato salad: Mom’s Potato Salad.
I grew up on this potato salad! My grandma and aunts made the same recipe, too and I’ve eaten it at every family reunion and holiday dinner since I can remember. My mom made one change to the recipe – she uses Old Bay Seasoning instead of paprika, which gives it something a little different which takes it over the top!
I still have the cookbook she gave me when I was 19 years old. It has very specific directions in it – like “put the lid on the pot” (LOL!).
I can eat this potato salad as a meal, it’s that good. I personally think it’s better made ahead of time and served the next day – which is always helpful, especially when planning holiday meals!
Do you have a favorite family recipe? I hope you enjoy this potato salad as much as my family and I have over the years!Print
My mom’s recipe for potato salad with hard-boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish and seasoned with Old Bay.
- 2 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 2 inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt (for boiling potatoes)
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 heaping tablespoons sweet salad pickle cubes
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender, but not falling apart.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add celery and onions and gently stir to combine. Add sweet salad pickle cubes, spicy mustard, mayonnaise, Old Bay, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potato salad