This Zucchini Tomato Bake is a delicious way to use summer produce. The flavor combination of zucchini, tomatoes, onions, Parmesan and seasonings is absolutely amazing! Serve it as a side dish or over rice for a satisfying vegetarian meal.
My little summer garden is thriving and I’m so excited to be sharing one of my favorite veggie side dishes that I make with my harvest! This zucchini dish is a perfect accompaniment to just about any main course and couldn’t be easier to prepare.
- You’ll need 4 to 5 small zucchini (about 2 pounds) – ends cut off and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Cherry or grape tomatoes – sliced in half. You can also use chopped tomatoes.
- I enjoy the flavor of yellow onion in this recipe. Please note that the chopped onions are not completely soft when this dish comes out of the oven, they’re more of a crisp-tender texture. Feel free to omit the onions, if desired.
- Salt and black pepper – adjust the amounts to your liking.
- Parmesan cheese – finely shredded. You can also use shredded mozzarella or Italian blend shredded cheese.
- Minced fresh garlic – garlic powder can be substituted.
- I love the convenience of using Italian seasoning, but if you don’t have it on-hand, fee free to use a combination of dried basil, oregano, thyme and/or rosemary (or whatever dried herb(s) you think would be delicious!).
How to Make Zucchini Tomato Bake
- Combine all ingredients (reserve 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese for topping) in a large bowl.
- Transfer to a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until desired tenderness of the zucchini is met.
More Garden Veggie Side Dishes
- Cheesy Squash Casserole
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Sauteed Squash with Basil and Parmesan
- German Cucumber Salad
- 4 to 5 small zucchini (about 2 pounds) sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper more or less, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (2.25 ounces) divided – reserve ¼ cup for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese for topping. Place all ingredients in a large bowl (EXCEPT ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese) and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Bake (uncovered) for 30 to 35 minutes or until desired tenderness of zucchini is met.
- Chopped tomatoes can be substituted for cherry/grape tomatoes.
- Note that chopped onions are not completely soft when this dish is removed from the oven, they’re crisp-tender. Feel free to omit onions, if desired.
- Shredded mozzarella or Italian blend shredded cheese can be substituted for Parmesan (or use a combination!).
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder can be used in place of minced fresh garlic.
- Dried basil, oregano, thyme and/or rosemary can be substituted for Italian seasoning.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Adapted from iFOODreal
Originally published June 2017. Updated with new text, new photos and recipe slightly revised June 2021.