This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I have the GREATEST neighbors! I live in a town home and my neighbor beside me loves to grow vegetables. Lucky me! His wife called the other day and told me to come to the back porch because they had two big bags of squash for me. So I just had to make this Cheddar Squash Casserole.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Since I’m updating this post I USED to have the greatest neighbors at that town home I lived at. The day I got that huge bag of fresh squash I was so excited and made this casserole. It has been on every holiday table and potluck ever since!
I slice my squash thin and sauté in butter, along with some chopped Vidalia onions until they’re soft (about 10-12 minutes). Drain off the juices in a colander and press with the back of a spatula or a big spoon.
Transfer the cooked squash and onions to a large bowl. Add some shredded cheddar cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper… then stir it all up with a big spoon.
Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
Top with a sleeve of crumbled buttery crackers and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown and the edges of the casserole are bubbly. Your family will thank you! 🙂Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Approximately 7 1/2 cups thinly sliced summer squash (6–7 medium squash)
- 2 cups chopped Vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 sleeve round buttery crackers, crushed (Ritz)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Saute onions and squash until tender, stirring frequently (about 10-12 minutes).
- Drain squash and onions in a colander. Press with a large spoon or back of spatula.
- Transfer squash and onions to a large bowl. Add cheeses, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Place squash mixture into greased casserole dish and spread evenly. Top with crumbled buttery crackers.
- Bake (uncovered) for 15-20 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown and edges of casserole are bubbly.
Slightly adapted from Paula Deen
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: squash casserole, cheesy squash casserole