This Cheesy Squash Casserole with a crunchy buttery cracker topping is the ultimate comfort food side dish. It’s perfect for summer cookouts, potlucks and holiday feasts!
This is by far one of my very favorite side dishes (I’ve been known to eat a bowl for breakfast!). It’s prepared with yellow summer squash, but I enjoy it year-round. It’s a staple at our annual holiday gathering and pairs with just about any main course.
Squash Casserole Ingredients Notes
- Yellow summer squash – you’ll need approximately 1 ½ pounds to yield 7 ½ cups of sliced squash needed for this recipe. I like to use small to medium squash since they have smaller seeds.
- Cheddar cheese – be sure to shred the cheese from a block and don’t use bagged pre-shredded cheese (it doesn’t melt as well).
- Round buttery crackers – such as Ritz.
- Parmesan cheese – I’ve always used the Parmesan cheese in the shaker in this recipe.
- Sweet onion – I’ve also made this casserole with chopped yellow onion and it’s just as delicious!
How to Make it
Following is a brief overview of how to prepare – please see the recipe card at the end of this post for full detailed instructions.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and cook the squash and onions until tender.
- Drain off juices in a colander.
- Stir together squash, onions, salt, pepper, sour cream and cheeses in a large bowl.
- Spread the squash mixture in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle evenly with crushed buttery crackers. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown and edges of casserole are bubbly.
Prepare casserole as directed before baking but do not top with crushed crackers. Cover and refrigerate the casserole until it’s ready to be baked. Remove from the fridge and allow to come close to room temperature. Sprinkle with crackers just before baking.
More Comforting Side Dishes
Cheesy Squash Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 ½ pounds yellow summer squash 7 ½ cups sliced about ¼ inch thick
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper more or less, to taste
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve round buttery crackers crushed (Ritz)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook squash and onions until tender, stirring frequently (about 10 to 12 minutes).
- Drain squash and onions in a colander. Press with a large spoon or the back of spatula.
- Transfer drained squash and onions to a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, sour cream and cheeses. Stir to combine.
- Transfer squash mixture into prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle evenly with crushed buttery crackers.
- Bake (uncovered) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown and edges of casserole are bubbly.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published May 2012. Updated with new photos and new text June 2021.
Adapted from Paula Deen