This Cucumber Tomato Salad is a refreshing side dish that’s quick and easy to prepare. Crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, red onion, fresh dill, and basil are tossed with a tangy and slightly sweet vinaigrette dressing that boasts fresh, vibrant flavors.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
My family and I have enjoyed this delicious salad for several years. I love it because it’s simple, easy, and always a hit.
It’s a perfect side dish for spring and summer picnics and cookouts (although I love it year-round!). This salad is delicious served alongside just about any main course, especially beef, pork, and grilled chicken.
Your Simple Ingredients
- Cucumbers – I prefer to use English cucumbers in this recipe, but any type will work.
- Tomatoes – I typically use Roma tomatoes, but cherry tomatoes are also delicious.
- Red onion
- Fresh basil
- Fresh dill
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Red wine vinegar
- Granulated white sugar
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make It
- Toss cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, dill, and basil in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette dressing and toss again to coat.
- Chopped avocado
- Feta cheese
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped bell pepper
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
This salad is best when served within a few hours of preparing. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
More Cucumber Salads You’ll Love
Cucumber Tomato Salad
For the salad:
- 3 cups sliced cucumbers 1 ½ to 2 English cucumbers (peeled or unpeeled)
- 3 Roma tomatoes chopped (about 2 ½ cups chopped)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup julienned or chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Place cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, basil, and dill in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a large measuring cup or small bowl.
- Drizzle vinaigrette dressing over the salad and toss to coat as evenly as possible.
- This recipe yields approximately 5 cups.
- This salad is best when served within a few hours of preparing, but can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published March 2012. Updated with new photos, new text and recipe slightly revised March 2023.