This Cucumber Tomato Salad is a refreshing side dish that’s quick and easy to prepare. Crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, red onion, fresh dill, and basil are tossed with a tangy and slightly sweet vinaigrette dressing that boasts fresh, vibrant flavors.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
My family and I have enjoyed this delicious salad for several years. I love it because it’s simple, easy, and always a hit.
It’s a perfect side dish for spring and summer picnics and cookouts (although I love it year-round!). This salad is delicious served alongside just about any main course, especially beef, pork, and grilled chicken.
Your Simple Ingredients
- Cucumbers – I prefer to use English cucumbers in this recipe, but any type will work.
- Tomatoes – I typically use Roma tomatoes, but cherry tomatoes are also delicious.
- Red onion
- Fresh basil
- Fresh dill
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Red wine vinegar
- Granulated white sugar
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make It
- Toss cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, dill, and basil in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette dressing and toss again to coat.
- Chopped avocado
- Feta cheese
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped bell pepper
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
This salad is best when served within a few hours of preparing. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
More Cucumber Salads You’ll Love
Cucumber Tomato Salad
For the salad:
- 3 cups sliced cucumbers 1 ½ to 2 English cucumbers (peeled or unpeeled)
- 3 Roma tomatoes chopped (about 2 ½ cups chopped)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup julienned or chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Place cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, basil, and dill in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a large measuring cup or small bowl.
- Drizzle vinaigrette dressing over the salad and toss to coat as evenly as possible.
- This recipe yields approximately 5 cups.
- This salad is best when served within a few hours of preparing, but can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published March 2012. Updated with new photos, new text and recipe slightly revised March 2023.
How far ahead can I make this salad? Looking to make it at noon for dinner. Thanks
Hi Willie, you should be fine making it at noon for dinner (cover and store in the fridge). It technically will last 2-3 days stored properly in the fridge, but I prefer it within a few hours of making it so that the cucumbers are crisp. I hope you and your family enjoy it!
So easy and delicious, thank you!
I wish I had drained the salad after it marinated in the dressing. Was really good fresh but sat in fridge and just got soggy the next day. I will make again but will remember to drain the dressing
Simple, healthy, delicious…made me points with my girlfriend. Thank you!!
Hi Scott, thank you so much – I’m so glad you and your girlfriend enjoyed it!