This Sautéed Squash with Basil and Parmesan is a simple and flavor-packed veggie side dish that’s ridiculously easy to prepare in less than 15 minutes!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Who else is ready for summer and all of the fresh produce that it brings? Although it technically isn’t summer yet, it sure has felt like it (not complaining, though… it was a LONG winter for me!).
My mom recently brought me a bag of fresh local yellow squash and I needed to use some of the fresh basil I had growing, so this is what I made with it. And let me tell you, it’s phenomenal. So good that I ate a huge bowl of it for dinner!
This recipe calls for 1-1/2 pounds of squash, which is about 4 medium squash.
How do you clean yellow squash?
I hold each squash under cool running water to rinse off any dirt. If it’s extra-dirty I’ll rub my hands on the squash while it’s under the running water. It’s not advised to use a vegetable brush because it will probably pierce the squash since it’s somewhat tender. Lastly, I’ll pat the squash dry with a clean towel before slicing.
How thick do you slice the squash?
I sliced the squash about 1/4-inch thick in this recipe.
This recipe yields approximately 4-1/2 cups once it’s prepared, so it will serve 4 people a generous serving of a little over a cup each. Enjoy!Print
A simple and flavor-packed yellow squash side dish with fresh basil, garlic and shredded Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1–1/2 pounds yellow summer squash, cleaned and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 cup julienned or chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add squash and garlic. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over squash and stir to combine. Sauté for approximately 6-7 minutes (stirring frequently), or until squash is crisp-tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sauteed squash with basil and Parmesan, sauteed squash recipe