Tender and flavor-packed Mexican Shredded Chicken has never been easier than when prepared in your Instant Pot. This deliciously seasoned shredded chicken is quick and simple to prepare, and there are so many ways to use it in your favorite Mexican dishes.
This recipe is based on my Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef that there are so many rave reviews on! This mouthwatering chicken is just as delicious and comes together in less than 40 minutes from start to finish (this includes the time to take the pot to come to pressure).
- Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Salsa – Your favorite store-bought restaurant-style salsa (or try my delicious homemade blender salsa!).
- Spice blend – A robust blend of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your personal taste. If you don’t have all of the seasonings on-hand, you can also use 3 to 3 ½ tablespoons of taco seasoning (homemade or store-bought).
- Chicken broth – Water can be substituted for chicken broth, but I recommend using broth to add more flavor to the sauce.
How to Prepare
Following is a very brief overview of how to prepare. Please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
- Stir together the salsa, broth, and seasonings in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in the inner pot of your pressure cooker.
- Pour the salsa mixture over the chicken. Turn the chicken breasts over and spread a few spoonfuls of the mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board or in a large bowl. Shred the chicken using two forks. The chicken can also easily be shredded in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment.
- Return the shredded chicken to the sauce mixture. Toss to coat as evenly as possible.
How to Serve Mexican Shredded Chicken
Serve in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, or as a topping for nachos. It’s also delicious served on top of a garden salad for added protein.
Absolutely! If using frozen breasts, ensure that they are not frozen together and are separated when placing in your pressure cooker. Cook for 14 to 16 minutes with a natural pressure release of 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
When properly stored in an airtight container, it will last up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
This shredded chicken freezes beautifully. Once it has cooled, place in a resealable zip-top plastic freezer storage bag. Press out as much air as possible before sealing. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low to medium heat (stirring often). It can also be reheated in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl covered with a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring every 30 seconds.
Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 1 cup prepared restaurant-style salsa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less, depending on how much heat you prefer
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Stir together salsa, chicken broth, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in the inner pot of your Instant Pot.
- Pour the salsa mixture over the chicken. Turn the chicken breasts over and spread a few spoonfuls of the mixture over the chicken.
- Place the lid on your pressure cooker and lock. Steam release knob should be set to "sealing." Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 8 to 10 minutes*. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the chicken (using a set of tongs) and place on a cutting board (or in a large bowl), and shred using 2 forks.
- Return shredded chicken to the sauce and toss to coat as evenly as possible.
- *The cook time will depend upon the weight and thickness of your chicken breasts. My chicken breasts were thick and were cooked for 10 minutes.
- If using frozen breasts, ensure they are not frozen together and are separated when placed in your pressure cooker. Cook for 14 to 16 minutes with a natural pressure release of 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.
- Yields approximately 8 cups of shredded chicken.
- This recipe was tested in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days, or freeze in plastic zip-top freezer bags (press out as much air as possible before sealing) for up to 3 months.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Rate & Comment