This delicious Skillet Italian Chicken is a satisfying meal prepared in one pan for easy cleanup. You can’t go wrong with this no-fuss dinner prepared in just 30 minutes!
I absolutely love the convenience of 30-minute meals, especially the ones that taste like you spent hours preparing… this is definitely one of those meals!
This flavorful chicken dish is full of zucchini, bell pepper, diced tomatoes and onion in a deliciously seasoned sauce. Serve it as-is for a lower carb dinner option, or over pasta or rice for an even heartier meal.
- You’ll need two large boneless skinless chicken breasts – sliced in half horizontally to yield four pieces.
- I used red bell pepper, but any color will work.
- I only use a pinch of crushed red pepper, but feel free to adjust the amount to your personal preference.
- Marinara sauce – use your favorite jarred sauce.
Place your chicken in the freezer about 30 minutes before slicing. This firms the meat a little, making it easier to slice into even pieces.
How to Make Skillet Italian Chicken
- Season both sides of sliced chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken in olive oil in a skillet until golden brown, no longer pink and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook zucchini, bell pepper, and onion until zucchini is crisp-tender. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, red pepper, Italian seasoning and bay leaf. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Return chicken to skillet and coat with sauce mixture. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or basil when serving, if desired.
More Easy Chicken Dinners
One Skillet Italian Chicken
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally (about 1 ½ pounds)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or basil (optional garnish)
- Season both sides of sliced chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, cooked through and no longer pink (about 4 minutes on each side depending on thickness). Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside (leave juices in skillet).
- In the same skillet, cook zucchini, bell pepper and onion until zucchini is crisp-tender (about 3 to 4 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds, while stirring.
- Add marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, red pepper, Italian seasoning and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (reduce heat as necessary to maintain a simmer).
- Remove and discard bay leaf. Return chicken to skillet and coat with sauce mixture.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley or basil, if desired.
- If desired, place your chicken in the freezer for about 30 minutes before slicing. This firms the meat a little, making it easier to slice.
- Feel free to adjust seasonings to your personal preference.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Adapted from Delish
Originally published February 2017. Updated with new photographs, new text and recipe revised January 2021.