Tender and juicy pulled pork is prepared in a fraction of the time by utilizing the convenience of your Instant Pot. Made with just seven simple ingredients, pulled pork has never been easier!
I recently shared my pig pickin’ cake recipe and it totally had me craving pulled pork. This is my go-to method of making it when I want it in a hurry (and with minimal prep time!).
I love this pork piled high on a soft bun and topped with coleslaw. I prefer it with a vinegar-based sauce (Carolina style), but you can also prepare it with a tomato-based BBQ sauce… it’s totally up to you!
Your Simple Ingredients
- Boston butt – You’ll need a 3 to 4 pound boneless pork shoulder roast.
- Barbecue sauce – Use your favorite!
- Salt and pepper – For seasoning the pork before browning.
- Olive oil – For browning the pork before pressure cooking.
- Root Beer helps with tenderizing while the pork is cooking. I love the flavor of root beer in this recipe, but cola or Dr Pepper can also be used.
How to Make Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork
Following is a brief overview – please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
- Cut the pork roast into four pieces as evenly as possible and season with salt and black pepper.
- Sear the pork pieces in olive oil (in two batches).
- Pour in the root beer, cola or Dr Pepper.
- Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes, then allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes. Quick release the remaining pressure.
- Transfer pork to a large bowl and shred with two forks.
- Toss with desired amount of your favorite sauce.
Another great thing I love about pulled pork is that it freezes beautifully. Once completely cooled, store in resealable plastic freezer bags (squeeze out as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn) for up to 3 months.
More Pork Deliciousness
Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) Boston butt boneless pork roast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups root beer or cola or Dr Pepper
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce adjust amount to your personal preference
- Cut pork into 4 pieces (as evenly as possible). Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour oil into your Instant Pot and set to saute. When the oil is heated, add 2 pieces of the pork and sear until browned on all sides, using tongs to turn (approximately 1 minute on each side). Transfer to a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining 2 pieces of pork.
- Turn off the saute setting by pressing "cancel". Return the 2 pieces of pork on the plate to the Instant Pot, along with any juices.
- Pour the root beer over the pork.
- Place the lid on your pressure cooker and lock. Steam release knob should be on "sealing". Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 45 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Using tongs, carefully transfer the pork to a large bowl. Shred using 2 forks. Remove and discard any fat while shredding.
- Pour sauce over pork and toss to coat evenly using tongs.
- Cook time includes browning pork and high pressure time.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days .
- Once completely cooled, freeze in a resealable freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months (squeeze out excess air to help prevent freezer burn).
- This recipe was tested using an Instant Pot 6 quart Duo.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published May 2018. Updated with new photos, new text and republished June 2021.