Such a southern delicacy… this Tomato Pie is one of my favorite recipes for using up those home-grown summer garden tomatoes!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Tomato Pie Recipe
Who else loves garden tomatoes? This recipe is ohhhhhh so easy and so simple. Serve it with a salad and dinner is DONE!
Besides, I truly needed to update the recipe and photos from 2012. What a difference 6 years can make.
I have this gorgeous summer garden growing and I’m so very proud of it… tomatoes are are one of my favorite vegetables (but I think I remember reading they’re fruits, right?!).
Originally published July 15, 2012 and updated May 22, 2018.
- 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 pounds tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place sliced tomatoes on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Allow to drain fluid for 10 minutes. Flip tomato slices, let drain for another 10 minutes and blot with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Allow pie refrigerated pie crust to reach room temperature while tomatoes are draining fluid. Form pie shell in pie dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- Layer tomato slices in pie shell. Reserve 5 slices for topping.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, dill weed, green onions, basil, pepper and cheeses.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over top of pie.
- Top with reserved 5 tomato slices.
- Sprinkle panko bread crumbs evenly over pie.
- Return to oven and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until lightly browned and cheese is bubbling around edges.