This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Pasta with Tomato Butter Sauce is prepared with staple pantry ingredients in just 30 minutes. Serve it as a delicious vegetarian main dish or hearty side dish.
This recipe is extremely versatile in that you can serve it with just about any meat or seafood (or with a salad for a satisfying vegetarian dinner).
Your Simple Ingredients
Here are your insanely simple ingredients – You probably already have everything you need to make it!
This is such a great dish because you can prepare a delicious homemade meal in a hurry and it’s budget-friendly.
This sauce is rich and buttery with a hint of sweetness from a little sugar. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your personal preference, or even add crushed red pepper to give it an extra kick. It’s delicious topped with grated Parmesan as well.
More Easy Pasta Recipes You’ll LovePrint
This easy Pasta with Tomato Butter Sauce is prepared with staple pantry ingredients in just 30 minutes.
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained (I used fettuccine)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced or whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or basil, for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly (about 30 seconds).
- Add tomatoes with juices, Italian seasoning, sugar and bay leaf. If using whole tomatoes, break up tomatoes with a spoon into about 1-inch pieces while bringing to a boil. Once sauce reaches a gentle boil, reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer.
- Begin heating water in a large pot to boiling for the pasta and cook according to package directions while sauce is simmering.
- Simmer sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf and discard. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to sauce and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley or basil, if desired.
- Add crushed red pepper for a spicy kick, if desired. This is also delicious topped with grated Parmesan!
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tomato butter sauce
Originally published September 5, 2016. Updated with new photographs, recipe slightly revised and republished March 14, 2020.