You’ll never miss the meat in this hearty, comforting and satisfying Kale Soup.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Kale Soup Recipe
What I love about this soup is that it’s healthy (without sacrificing flavor) and totally satisfying. A bonus is that it’s also vegan and gluten-free!
I was so surprised when I took my first bite of this soup years ago. I literally didn’t miss any meat at all in this soup. All of that kale swimming around in a seasoned vegetable broth with potatoes, carrots, onions and beans… so good!
If you don’t care about this being a vegetarian soup, chicken broth would work as well as vegetable broth.
I recently made a pot of this soup and decided to update the photographs (originally posted in February 2016).
This recipe comes together in about 50 minutes and makes a huge pot. I used my 6-quart dutch oven and it almost filled it to the top… so there’s going to be plenty to go around AND leftovers.
One bunch of kale looks like a lot when you chop it up to go in the soup, but by the time it wilts down after cooking for a few minutes you’ll have plenty of room for all of the other ingredients.
What is your favorite way to eat kale? I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I have over the years!
Originally published February 8, 2016 and updated with new photographs January 2, 2019.Print
You’ll never miss the meat in this hearty and comforting soup full of kale, beans and vegetables!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups chopped)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 bunch of kale, rinsed, large stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 (32-ounce) container vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans (undrained)
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite size chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a 6-quart dutch oven or soup pot. Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until onions are soft, stirring constantly. Add kale and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, cannellini beans, carrots, potatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Season with desired amounts of salt and pepper.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kale soup, kale soup recipe, white bean and kale soup, potato kale soup, white bean kale soup