This vegetarian Kale Quiche is so hearty, you’ll never miss the meat… it’s chock full of kale, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, onions and cheese!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
This is no doubt one of my favorite quiche recipes originally posted a little over a month after starting the blog. I love quiche because it’s so versatile – quiche can be served for any meal of the day!
It all starts with an easy refrigerated pie crust filled with the kale and vegetable mixture. Then top it with shredded cheese and pour the egg mixture on top.
Pair this quiche with a salad for the ultimate satisfying vegetarian dinner!
Another great thing about baked quiche is that it can be frozen and reheated easily. I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then put it in a resealable plastic bag. When ready to heat, unwrap and bake for approximately 20 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until heated thoroughly. Reheating an individual slice takes less time to reheat (about 10 minutes).
Originally published January 24, 2012 and updated October 26, 2016.Print
A hearty vegetarian quiche chock full of kale, roasted red peppers, mushrooms and onions!
- 1 refrigerated rolled pie crust AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 3 cups tightly packed roughly chopped kale (rinsed, cleaned and large stems removed)
- 1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well (about 3/4 cup drained)
- 1 (4.5-ounce drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained well
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cooking until onions are soft and translucent, stirring frequently (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add chopped kale, roasted red peppers and mushrooms. Stir and saute until the kale is wilted (about 3-4 minutes). Set aside kale mixture.
- Spray a 9-inch pie or tart dish with cooking spray. Carefully unroll pie crust and place in dish, pressing bottom and sides.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and desired amount of pepper until blended.
- Place kale mixture in bottom of pie crust first, then sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over cheese and vegetables.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until center is firm and toothpick inserted comes out clean.