This zesty Homemade Cocktail Sauce is so much better than store-bought and prepared with staple ingredients. You’ll never want bottled sauce again!
Why buy cocktail sauce when you probably have everything you need to make it from scratch? This recipe comes together in just a few minutes and can be easily adjusted to your liking.
Prepared horseradish, black pepper, hot sauce, ketchup and lemon juice. The ingredients are very simple and completely customizable to your personal taste. This is a base recipe – adjust the ingredients to make it as mild or as spicy as you want.
Simply stir the ketchup, horseradish, hot sauce, lemon juice and pepper together in a small bowl. It can be served immediately, but is best when covered and refrigerated for at least one hour before serving.
I typically enjoy this sauce within a couple of days of preparing, but it normally keeps for up to one week when stored properly (in an airtight container or jar) in the refrigerator.
How long it can be stored also depends on the expiration dates of your ingredients used, so use your best judgement when storing.
Number of Servings
This recipe yields right at one cup of sauce and serves four people generously.
Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until combined.
- Place in a container and cover. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Feel free to adjust the ingredients to your personal taste!
- Store for up to 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Do not re-use sauce that shrimp (or other foods) have been dipped into. This is best served within 2 days of preparing.
- This recipe yields approximately 1 cup.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published September 19, 2016. Updated with new photographs, helpful tips and republished June 16, 2020.