This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This zesty Homemade Cocktail Sauce is so much better than store-bought and prepared with staple ingredients. You’ll never want bottled sauce again!
Why buy cocktail sauce when you probably have everything you need to make it from scratch? This recipe comes together in just a few minutes and can be easily adjusted to your liking.
What’s In Cocktail Sauce?
The ingredients are very simple and completely customizable to your personal taste. This is a base recipe – adjust the ingredients to make it as mild or as spicy as you want.
- Prepared horseradish
- Black pepper
- Hot sauce
- Lemon juice
The way the recipe is written is how I enjoy it – it has a spicy kick but it’s not overwhelmingly hot.
I personally prefer Texas Pete hot sauce in my cocktail sauce; feel free to use your favorite brand (or completely omit it for a milder taste).
How Much Does This Recipe Make?
This recipe yields right at one cup of sauce and serves four people generously.
How Long Does This Last in the Fridge?
I typically enjoy this sauce within a couple of days of preparing, but it normally keeps for up to one week when stored properly (in an airtight container or jar) in the refrigerator.
How long it can be stored also depends on the expiration dates of your ingredients used, so use your best judgement when storing.
This easy cocktail sauce is so much better than store-bought and prepared with staple ingredients. You’ll never want bottled sauce again!
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Place in a container and cover. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Feel free to adjust the ingredients to your personal taste!
- Store for up to 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Do not re-use sauce that shrimp (or other foods) have been dipped into. This is best served within 2 days of preparing.
- Category: Sauces
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade cocktail sauce, shrimp cocktail sauce
Originally published September 19, 2016. Updated with new photographs, helpful tips and republished June 16, 2020.