- 1 pound fresh okra, stems removed and sliced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup self rising yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Pour buttermilk in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Place sliced okra in buttermilk and gently stir to coat well. Dredge coated okra in flour and cornmeal mixture.
- Pour about 1-inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet and heat to 375 degrees F. Fry in batches until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.