This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite veggie side dishes: Fried Okra. I can eat these okra like popcorn!
Today I’m blogging from the beautiful state of Georgia… although I love my home on the coast of North Carolina, it’s so nice to have a change of scenery!
As you can see, my dog Baby is a little curious about the cows here. This place is so much different than the beach!
When thinking about what veggie side dish to prepare while in Georgia, I couldn’t think of anything more southern than fried okra. I used to dislike okra as a child, but thankfully learned to appreciate it as I grew older.
What was I thinking?!
I’ll be doing my best to keep posting recipes during this little trip (fun until Sunday then back to reality on Monday!). You can check out more pics on Instagram. Hoping to catch a beautiful sunrise tomorrow morning!
Cheers from the peach state and happy frying!Print
- 1 pound fresh okra, stems removed and sliced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup self rising yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Pour buttermilk in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Place sliced okra in buttermilk and gently stir to coat well. Dredge coated okra in flour and cornmeal mixture.
- Pour about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet and heat to 375 degrees F. Fry in batches until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fried okra recipe