Crisp sliced cucumbers and onions are tossed in a simple seasoned vinegar mixture in this light and refreshing Cucumber Onion Salad. It’s a classic summer side dish that’s so EASY to prepare using simple ingredients.
It’s no secret that I LOVE cucumber salads. I’ve made several variations including Greek Cucumber Salad, German Cucumber Salad and even Thai Cucumber Salad… but I’ve never shared this old fashioned cucumber and onion salad which is the simplest of them all.
But don’t let the simple and basic ingredients fool you – this salad packs some serious flavor!
Your Simple Ingredients
- English cucumbers – I use approximately 3 cups of sliced cucumbers, which is about 1 ½ to 2 English cucumbers (will depend upon their size).
- Red onion – Sweet white onion can be substituted for red onion.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Fresh dill – Dried dill can be substituted for fresh dill, you’ll just need to use approximately ⅓ of the amount of fresh.
- Salt and black pepper – As always, feel free to adjust the amounts to your personal preference!
- Granulated sugar
How to Prepare
Step 1: Toss the sliced cucumbers and onion in a large bowl.
Step 2: Whisk together vinegar, salt, pepper, water and sugar in a small bowl or measuring cup.
Step 3: Drizzle the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and onion and toss to coat as evenly as possible. Sprinkle with fresh chopped dill. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
I prefer this served within a few hours of preparing, but it can be made ahead and served up to 24 hours after preparing.
More Summer Veggie Side Dishes
Cucumber Onion Salad
- 3 cups thinly sliced English cucumbers approximately 1 ½ to 2 cucumbers
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion or sweet white onion
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper more or less, to taste
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar more or less, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Toss the sliced cucumbers and onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, water, salt, pepper and sugar in a small bowl.
- Drizzle vinegar mixture over cucumbers and onions and toss to coat as evenly as possible. Sprinkle with fresh dill. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- I prefer this served within a few hours of preparing, but it can be made ahead and served up to 24 hours after preparing.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.