This is a great recipe if you have leftover chicken that you can’t figure out what to do with. I boiled a whole chicken the other day for part of Chance’s food for the week (yes, I cook for my dog).
The freezing rain and sleet had me craving some intense comfort food (imagine that?)… so I decided to use some of the chicken for this easy Chicken Broccoli Casserole.
This is one of my favorite casseroles… not just because it’s cheesy and creamy topped with crispy Ritz crackers, but it’s a complete meal in one dish! The fact that it’s prepared from start to finish in less than 40 minutes helps, too.
I used cream of mushroom soup and a small can of mushrooms because I absolutely LOVE mushrooms. You can omit the mushrooms and use cream of chicken soup instead if you’re not a mushroom fan. This casserole is also easily re-heated and even better the next day!Print
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken soup)
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1–1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, boil broccoli until just tender and crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for Ritz crackers. Spoon into a greased 13×9 casserole dish. Top with crushed Ritz crackers.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through and edges are bubbly.