All of the amazing flavors of Chicken Parmesan come together in this easy, cheesy and flavorful Chicken Parmesan Casserole!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I’ve always loved chicken parmesan, but I also enjoy the convenience of casseroles. Marinara, diced tomatoes, cheese and seasonings with chicken and penne pasta come together so easily with minimal cleanup in this recipe. I used a panko breadcrumb and Parmesan topping, so you don’t have to worry about breading any chicken!
Packed full of flavor, this is one of my favorite new ways to enjoy chicken parmesan. You can also make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven when you’re ready (I’d add the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan mixture right before baking so they don’t get stale, though).
I also added a can of diced tomatoes for some added texture – amazing!
If you enjoy the convenience of casseroles and chicken parmesan, you’re going to love this simple recipe.Print
- 16 ounces penne pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided (reserve 1/4 cup for topping)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Optional: Fresh julienned or chopped basil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a casserole dish or large cast iron skillet.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over moderate high heat and add cubed chicken. Cook 4-5 minutes (stirring constantly), or until cooked thoroughly and browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta, cooked cubed chicken, marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Spoon into greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.