You’ll never miss the meat in this vegetarian, hearty, and comforting Kale Soup!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
If you’ll look back at my last few posts, I’ve been eating a lot of cake, meat and cheesy goodness. Everything I ate at the Superbowl party last night didn’t help, either… lots of cheesy dips, chili and wings (it was awesome!). My body needed a break and I wanted to make the most comforting and healthy soup I could think of.
It doesn’t get much healthier than this! Not only is this soup vegetarian, it’s also vegan and gluten free. I was so surprised when I took the first bite because I’m a meat lover. I literally didn’t miss it at all in this soup! All of that kale swimming around in a seasoned vegetable broth with potatoes, carrots, onions and beans… so good! If you don’t care about this being a vegetarian soup, chicken broth would work as well as vegetable broth.
This recipe comes together in about 50 minutes and makes a huge pot. I used my 6-quart dutch oven and it almost filled it to the top… so there’s going to be plenty to share AND leftovers!
1 bunch of kale looks like a lot when you chop it up to go in the soup…
But by the time it wilts down after cooking for a few minutes, you’ll have plenty of room for all of the other good stuff!
What is your favorite way to eat kale? This is definitely going to be on my winter soup menu from here on out!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 bunch of kale, rinsed then stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 (32-ounce) container vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans (undrained)
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite size chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until onions are soft, stirring constantly. Add kale and cook for an additional 2 minutes,stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, cannellini beans, carrots, potatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add desired amounts of salt and pepper.