This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This flavorful sandwich is an easy, comforting and satisfying meal!
I mean, how can you go wrong with gooey mozzarella cheese, fresh juicy tomatoes, pesto and balsamic vinegar on grilled rye bread? There’s just no way!
The best part is that this sandwich comes together in about 10 minutes. YES!
You can use homemade pesto from scratch or prepared pesto in the jar. This easy grilled cheese is a quick and simple alternative for busy spring and summer weeknight dinners.
- 2 slices bread (I used rye)
- 1 tablespoon prepared basil pesto
- 3–4 tomato slices (enough to cover bread slice)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Sliced mozzarella cheese (enough to cover bread slice)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Spread pesto on 1 bread slice. Top with tomatoes and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Season with pepper. Top with mozzarella slices and remaining slice of bread.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-low heat. Cook sandwich on both sides until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pesto caprese grilled cheese